You know how some glass type products just don’t live up to their expectations, or end up broken after only a few uses? Those products are the ones that aren’t created with borosilicate glass!
You see, borosilicate glass is a type of reinforced glass that is basically what Pyrex used to be before they switched to using soda-lime glass. So, imagine the Hulk of glass, and that’s what Borosilicate glass is! It’s main constituents are silica and boron trioxide, and it is the standard used in devices both in the medical field and space exploration. Borosilicate glass has a low thermal expansion, is highly resistant to thermal shock, and is less dense than basic soda-lime glass.
It sounds great right? But, this is what they use in laboratories and electronics, how does that affect you? We use glass in many varying ways, and in multiple aspects of our life. When it comes to choosing the glassware you use, borosilicate glass is not just an option, it’s the best option.
- Glasses that won’t shatter in the moment.
It’s a special moment, a wedding, graduation, or anniversary, you’re getting ready to make a toast. You pick up a knife and tap the glass to garner the crowd’s attention. You have their attention all right, but it’s because your wine glass shattered! You laugh it off, but it wasn’t meant to be a funny moment. It was meant to be a great moment! Here is where borosilicate glass comes in, a stronger glass that can hold up to the classic toast. Moment saved!
- Saving time and effort during cleanup.
Dinner was great, the company was better, and the food needs to be put away. Unfortunately it was still too hot, and when it goes into the fridge it cracks the dish and made a big mess to clean up! The alternative isn’t much better, stay up late and wait for the food to cool down even more. Yawn. Borosilicate glass isn’t just strong, it also has a much higher maximum shock range which can withstand drastic temperature changes. Having storage containers that can go from hot to cold saves the evening, and the extra cleanup!
- Meal Prep Storage and use that stands up to the heat.Speaking of cooking, dishes made of borosilicate glass are specifically designed for oven use. The low coefficients of thermal expansion make borosilicate glass able to withstand a wide variety of temperatures including high oven heat. Not only can borosilicate cookware be used in high temperatures like the oven, it can also easily go from one extreme temperature into the other. This means that you can pull a premade dish from the freezer, and put it straight into the oven. Having [6-Pack] Glass Meal Prep Containers – Food Prep Containers with Lock Down Lids Meal Prep – Food Storage Containers Airtight – Lunch Containers Portion Control Containers – BPA Free Container By Popit solutions that can go directly into the oven makes a huge difference and saves time!
- Staying healthy while helping the environment.
Humans are comprised of up to 60% water, and having a good water bottle can help you meet and maintain adequate hydration. What better way to drink than from an actual glass, borosilicate glass to be precise! Glass bottles made of borosilicate glass are more durable, better for the environment, and can hold up to changing temperatures. An added bonus is what you taste is exactly what you would expect, there are no chemicals leaching in or changing the taste of your beverage. If drinking from a glass bottle isn’t for you, storing your water in a borosilicate glass pitcher is a great alternative. Paired with round glassware mugs, you have a combination that both looks great for company and is beneficial for you and the environment.
- Home Decor such as oil lamps and candles that will stand the test of time.
One of the often overlooked uses for glass is in the assembly of items such as oil candles, oil lamps, and oil lanterns. Glass is a vital element in the design and structure of these products, and we know all products are not created equal. The varying temperatures of fire lighting require a glass that can withstand thermal stress, and is also resistant to thermal shock. The highest quality of glass that iis used for oil-ibased lightingi is borosilicate glass. If the items in your home are made of Borosilicate glass, then you can be assured that they are the best choice for you and your family.
By choosing a product made with high quality borosilicate glass, you can be confident in the quality and longevity of the products, and even save yourself a headache in the long run. FireFly’s votive candles and pillar candles, all the way down to these adorable tealight candles are all made from hand blown borosilicate glass. In fact, almost all of their products are! Everyday we make hundreds of choices, from simple decisions to choices that will alter our future. The choice here is clear, don’t settle for substandard quality, choose the best and reap the benefits.